Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm a little "Neti Pot" short and stout...

I’m home and back to the grind, but when I got back from Hawaii I was down with a sinus infection. When I first moved to Louisiana everyone would tell me that I would eventually start having allergies and sinus headaches. Sure enough it happened. I started a morning routine of nasal irrigation using a Neti pot. Neti pots are a common feature of traditional Asian medicine. It resembles a tea pot and is made in ceramic, plastic or metal with a long spout. Through the gravity method it allows you to pour warm saline solution into your sinuses, which helps to cleanse them of mucus, pollen, dust, pollution or whatever else you happen to have lurking up there. It also helps with the common cold. My husband R has been doing this for awhile for his sinuses. I’m a gagger and when I watched him do it I knew that there was no way I could do this. Well, after doing it a couple of times I got used to it and feel so much better. R just reminds me every now and then how I cringed when he suggested the Neti pot and now I swear by it!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

I keep hearing more and more people who swear by neti pots. If I can get over the concept, I bet it'd be great for me.